The time has come to lie to ourselves, once again.
Its a yearly tradition for some.
For others, this will be their first time lying, at least in this sense.
The New Years resolution.
Here it is, as far as I know.
Because it is a new year, you will suddenly change your ways, get the willpower to do the crap you have been totally unable to do the other 364 days of the year.
I have a friend that has loudly declared that they will never smoke again.
And they haven’t.
At least not for the first week to 2 weeks in January every year for the last 10 years.
It s an amazing record of consistent failure.
I try not to delude myself with trivial crap.
I prefer to save my delusion for the really big stuff, it saves time.
I have always looked upon the New Year as a time to look back over the bitter shit that happened last year and what I could have done differently.
Top three regrets.
1. Cut back the blog to twice a week sooner. I really struggled and felt like crap the last two weeks I was writing everyday. I truly think I troweled out some honest to goodness crap.
2. Friendly fire. I certainly don’t mind hurting someones feelings in the name of a blog that I find amusing. However, it really hammers home the power of the written word when I hurt someone I never meant to, and didn’t see it till they told me to go fuck myself.
3. Hesitation. In several areas of my life, I hesitated to do something different, take a chance, trust my instincts. This has wasted a lot of time and put off things and situations that have really made me feel weak. I hate feeling week.
Top three things done right.
1. I am writing more and exploring more areas of my writing than ever before.
2. I took some chances and danced outside my comfort zone more than a few times. Not as much as I would have liked, but I did.
3. I am closer to being than I have been for a long time. This one either makes sense to you or it doesn’t.
In the long run, change was and is inevitable.
I took a lot of shit and a lot of praise for cutting the blog back to only 2 days a week.
The good news is, there is still a blog, as opposed to pushing to get out 5 days a week until I burn out so bad I can’t do anything but shut it down.
So its all good.
Back to the new year.
The one thing I have not heard so far is anyone talking about how, it being 2013, that the number 13 is bad luck.
And the bad luck thing is really a natural.
The economy sucks. The government sucks.
The most divisive prez in modern times has managed to miss-handle the children of congress on both sides of the aisle to the point that we are facing the “Fiscal cliff”.
And yet, to the layman, it looks so easy, regardless of what party you are in.
Handle tariffs, create jobs, fix the roads and schools, and don’t pooch us into debt too bad.
Dennis Miller once said, I expect the same thing out of the president that i do out of my gardner.
Do your job well and don’t stare too long at my wife.
That would be refreshing.
How about we write some New Years Resolutions for the Government.
Here are the top 3, as far as I can see.
1. Do your fucking jobs.
2. Learn how to play with others.
3. Do your best to stop being the rotten pack of thieves you have been so far for the last 4 years.
But that is just my opinion, you are free to disagree.
However, I can’t see how you could, unless you were a politician.
Or just an ignorant dumb ass.
And I am rarely wrong about these things.