Phone Wars Part 2

05 Jan

So, my phone is still a piece of shit.

After I went to the store last night and had the Chola’s go to war on my phone.

And I went home with it working, sort of.

Sort of means no, by the way.

Charged overnight, task killer app in use to save battery, ready to face the day.

It seemed like it was working.

But a lot of things do that.

Remind me to tell you about my car sometime.

Back to the phone.

And the phone died at noon.

A quick call to the store and the manager from the night before, my favorite Chola, answered.

I made plans to head over to the store after work.

Should having a cell phone be this much hassle?

Should having anything be this much hassle?

This is one of those things that can really get under your skin and there is not a God damned thing you can do about it.

This is like a mental ass clench that is next to impossible to shake.

As annoying as a splinter in your ass that you can’t reach.

And if that happens, by the way, you really find out who your friends are.

The rest of the day drags by and the phone stays on my desk, taunting me.

Finally, I get to the store.

The main Chola from last night is happy to see me.

As she is busy with what appears to be 5 customers at once, she introduces me to a twenty something Cholo named Angel and goes back to speaking in rapid fire Spanish to, well, everyone.

The resident expert on phone tweaking.

After 5 minutes, Angel basically explains that Android phones get crappy battery life.

And my phone gets bad reception.

He’s not sure why.

I am back to square one.

I think my experiment into the alternative, “All in one, do everything for one low price” phone is just about over.

Dammit.

I have been avoiding going to one of the big cell companies for service.

Not out of any silly Occupy notion.

But because I have been pooched by their plans in the past.

But at least the phones worked.

Thats all I am after.

Is that asking too much?

I feel like I am Charlton Heston at the end of the Planet of the Apes, kneeling in the sand. but I am looking up at a giant cell phone.

Get your hands off me, you damned dirty phone salesman!

(Hows that for a bizarre segue?)

Now, the question just remains, to whom do I sell my soul?

I was in sales for a long time.

And I while I never got to that point of actually selling my soul.

But I have entertained offers.

Some of the lesser cell phone companies have the no contract plan.

The big cell companies know that is for suckers.

The money is in the 2 year contract it seems.

Its a lot like agreeing to be a slave for two years at a time.

Oh, and you pay for it.

One month at a time.

Posted by on January 5, 2012 in Uncategorized

7 responses to “Phone Wars Part 2

1. CR

January 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

You have spent your life buying cheap ass knock offs and as a result wasted hundreds of hours dicking around with all the crap that comes with the “bargain brands” Its time to man up and run with the big dogs. Pull your head out of your turtle shell! I pay for my family to have apple products because I dont have hundreds of hours to waste on BS problems. Its worthit!

January 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

My apologies for my failings. I didn’t want the most expensive product with the most expensive data plan on the market. What I have is a well reviewed Android phone that is malfunctioning. As for the cheap ass knock offs. I was with AT&T for about 8 years, Verizon for 10 before that. My main phone during the bulk of the AT&T period was the Razr, which still gets good reviews. My shock is that I have never had issues with my cell phone.
      You seem to have a lot of anger, directed at others. Maybe its time to look in the mirror and forgive someone.
      So bite me.

• LaVicki

January 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

Actually… minus the insults… CR has a point….

2. LaVicki

January 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

ok here is what our family has done… we took the plunge.. we all have Iphones…. they work… excellent customer service…. amazing coverage…. and you basically have a mini pc in your hand… you could even write your blog (albeit a pain in the ass way) if your pc crashed…. Take the plunge… up it to unlimited internet access and loosen up the sphincter because you HAVE TO!

• LaVicki

January 5, 2012 at 11:01 am

PS I have the Iphone 3 as well as the kids… Joey has the Iphone 4…… I dont see a huge difference in between the speed that I can see between the two – so save the money – I think you can basically get a FREE Iphone 3 right about now….. we are with AT & T I pay about 250 bucks a month for unlimited everything for the 4 of us….

January 5, 2012 at 11:38 am

I am strongly suspecting that you might be a shill for the Apple Corporation.

• SR

January 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I have 5 lines with Verizon and pay $215 per month. We have unlimited text and data on the 2 iphone 4’s, and the other 3 phones are feature phones with just talk and text. We share more voice minutes than we can use. Dunn went through 2 Droids before we gave up on that. The Android just isn’t there yet. Verizon data is slow, but there are few places I can’t talk or text. Good Luck… I think Sprint will be cheaper (and they have iphones.) Get 10% off with your AAA card (I think!)